Today I met another vegan in the grocery store. So what’s the big deal? I’ve run into another vegan exactly TWICE since I’ve become one myself almost four years ago. She was reading through the labels, checking every ingredient. I patiently waited while she did her research, kind of not believing someone else was shopping in the vegan section of the produce area. I finally moved forward to grab a few items. She kindly went around me, circled back, and went to read yet another label on the vegan veggie burgers.
I felt like I had politely pushed her out of her shopping journey and apologized that it was not my intention to. I remarked how surprised I was that more than one person was even shopping in the vegan section at the same time.
We both laughed and she said how she was newly vegan and was trying to get a grip on what was what. I asked her how new to veganism she was and was told…..about two weeks. NEWLY VEGAN was an understatement.
I remember those days. I had gone from a hardcore meat and dairy consumer to a vegetarian for a month, to a hard core vegan permanently and confidently.
There was no turning back and rightly so. This was one of the best decisions I have ever made for my health, the animals, and Mother Earth.
I wanted to throw all my vegan tips, advice, and product reviews at her, along with recipes, Meet-ups, etc. It was overwhelmingly a great conversation. I could have chatted all night. Our exchange was such an inspiration to me. I felt so proud to be a vegan and welcome a newbie into the “club”!
I realized after I drove home that I could have given her a million more tips and ideas.
Luckily, I did remember to give her my business card and hopefully she will not only visit my site, she will get the help to make her vegan journey just a little bit easier until she finds her feet.
Her name is Shelby and she’s a beautiful person. I hope I helped to steer her in the right direction.
A quick few pieces of advice to her and the rest of the world.
- Gardein products rock https://www.gardein.com
- Herbivorous Butchers are out of this world for vegan meat and dairy alternatives https://theherbivorousbutcher.com
- Tofurky products are awesome https://tofurky.com
- Beyond Meat Burgers are perfect, especially for meat eaters https://www.beyondmeat.com
- Meijer and Kroger offer many great vegan products
- Miyoko’s Butter is beyond fantastic. https://www.miyokos.com
- Just Mayo is the best vegan mayo around, hands down https://justforall.com
- Veganaise is a great vegan Gary (non vegans sometimes get mad if we say vegan cheese, so we call it Gary. LOL) https://followyourheart.com
- Nutritional Yeast is a must ( check out my site or anywhere else if you love cheese) Super healthy too
- Get Connected with other vegans (online, at Meetups, social media groups, VBCC Vegan Life on Facebook, Monica Hewitt @ vegancrazycook on Twitter and tons of other vegan people and sites)
- Norwalk has a monthly vegan potluck get together. See the ad at the Sandusky Health Food Store on Route 250! These gatherings are so cool. I know this is aimed at my new found friend, but try to find one in your community.
- Ave Market in Strongsville, Ohio is something else in the way of vegan meats, cheeses, cupcakes and whatever else you desire for your vegan lifestyle. https://www.avemarket.com
This list could go on and on and on and on and on. We, as vegans are being introduced to the best of the best products with the insanely positive growth of veganism.
There are so many awesome vegan products out there. Now has never been a better time to be vegan.
Good luck to all the new and long time experienced vegans out there. Help each other out. Spread the word. Try something new. You’ll never know what new foods you will discover. More importantly, you will never know who you’ll meet.