WHY DO PEOPLE THINK IT’S SO HARD TO GO VEGAN?
As a vegan, I seem to get the same response when others are confronted with the fact that yes, I am a vegan.
“Oh, I know I could lose a bit of weight, but I know I could never go vegan!”
“Why?” I ask.
“Well, you know I can’t live without my meat. I just bought a smoker. My football friends stop over for our weekly barbeque. What the fuck am I supposed to tell them? Sorry guys, I’m grilling tofu today!”
And the whole room of omnivores bursts out in laughter as ridicule of plants and their nervous systems and justification of manly pieces of animal corpses seasoned just right overtake the conversation.
Meanwhile a record number of people all over the world are dying of heart disease, cancer, stroke, Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, and a number of diseases that slowly but surely kill them over time, all related to the foods they consume or don’t.
Over 2/3 of all Americans are overweight. That’s a ridiculously large percentage of people.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, obesity in the United State is common, serious, and expensive. Over 90 MILLION US adults are obese. That’s about 40 % of the population. Obesity is powerful but preventable and floods our healthcare costs.
Obese parents lead to obese children causing poor health at the start.
Walk into any grocery store and see a record number of obese people driving around shopping for food in scooters….old, young, disease ridden, uneducated, and still filling their carts with meat, dairy, eggs, processed crap, and whatever else the advertisements tell them to eat. How could what they are putting in their bodies be wrong if all of their friends and family are doing the same?
A typical scenario is at a summer picnic with a group of friends. The men complain about their wives putting on lots of weight over the years while grilling steak, burgers, and hot dogs for their guests on a Saturday night barbeque wondering why most everyone is overweight and not in the best health. Most of the men are overweight too.
The grilled meat is brought inside with the other dishes loaded with cheese, milk, eggs, seafood, and alas, more meat.
If you’re lucky, there might be a salad to nibble on, but it’s most likely covered in cheese and bacon bits with dairy based dressings.
They (we) have been trained all their lives to eat what their parents ate and pass that food tradition onto their kids.
We’ve heard the popular slogans (lies)
- Milk Does a Body Good
- Beef, It’s What’s for Dinner
- Pork, The Other White Meat
- Cage Free
- Humanely Raised
- No Antibiotics
This list could go on and on with these catchy little phrases to get you to buy, buy, and buy into the fallacy that animal products are healthy for you. They aren’t, but people are afraid of change; afraid of everything they’ve known about food to be a lie.
Now is never a better time to check out the vegan lifestyle. Yes, I went vegan for the animals, but my health received a super boost as a positive side benefit.
If you are reading this an omnivore, I ask you to do just a little research into plant-based eating. Afraid to go full-fledged vegan? Incorporate more fruits and vegetables into your diet. Try some of the fantastic vegan meat and dairy alternatives now hitting the grocery stores and restaurants. You’ll be pleasantly surprised. A couple of the many great brands and companies now going mainstream are making huge strides in flavor.
- BEYOND MEAT Their burgers, brats, and sausages rock. You can find them in the meat section right next to animal corpses. It will become the protein aisle one day!
- TOFURKY A great company with tasty products from chik’n strips, lunch meat, roasts, sausages and more. Check them out in the produce section usually.
- LIGHTLIFE Another fantastic vegan company that has a range of plant based products such as hot dogs, lunch meat, and meatless crumbles.
- IMPOSSIBLE FOODS Head out to a local restaurant and grab yourself the Impossible Burger. You will be blown away. Use their store locator on their website to find a location near you.
- FIELD ROAST Sausages, hot dogs, and their Chao brand vegan cheeses are delicious. Their maple breakfast sausage is a favorite of ours.
- EARTH GROWN This is Aldi’s brand of mostly vegan products. Burgers, hot dogs, brats, cheese, chik’n patties, and more are being offered at fairly cheap prices. We love to stock up!
This is a very short list of the variety of possibilities out there for vegans and non-vegans. Miyoko’s vegan butter and cheeses are super. Gardein vegan frozen burgers, fishless filets, and chik’n rock. Boca has good vegan burgers and chik’n too. Do a little research. I know, I know, we are all so busy. Who has the time? Isn’t it just easier to keep on keeping on what we are eating now? You really don’t have the time not to. Your body needs you. The animals will thank you. Our planet will rejoice!